What is Liposuction?
Liposuction, which is also known as lipo or lipoplasty, is used to slim and reshape areas of the body. This is accomplished by removing excess fat deposits and improving your body’s contours and proportion. Dr. Trenton C. Jones, M.D. may recommend liposuction in Orem, Salt Lake County, and Utah County, Utah, to reduce fat deposits in the:
- Hips and buttocks
- Waist and abdomen
- Upper arms
- Chest area
- Inner knee
- Cheeks, chin, and neck
- Calves and ankles
Am I a Candidate of Liposuction?
Anyone considering liposuction should keep in mind that liposuction is not a treatment for obesity. It should not be used in place of a proper diet and exercise. Liposuction is not an effective treatment for cellulite (the dimpled skin that sometimes appears on the hips, thighs, and buttocks).
You may be a candidate for liposuction if you:
- Are an adult within 30 percent of your ideal weight
- Have firm, elastic skin and good muscle tone
- Are healthy with no life-threatening illness or medical conditions that could impede healing
- Do not smoke
- Have a positive outlook and have specific goals in mind
- Have excess fat deposits that don’t respond to exercise or diet